I was in a little bit of a funk with my writing. I am working on a big freelance project right now and I just couldn’t get in the right frame of mind. These are times when writing totems are especially handy. A writing totem is an item (or in my case several items) that inspire me and get me in a writer-like state of mind. Here’s my list:
- Coffee – I believe all good things come from a little kick-start.
- 2 inch picture frame – I keep this in my writing area and it reminds me that I only have to write one word at a time. All big projects are completed by completing a series of small pieces
- Robin Williams remains my favorite actor of all-time. I love this quote by him – “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”
- Funny, poignant pictures – I love this one of a goldfish wearing a shark fin and a kitten looking in the mirror and seeing a lion.
- Dark chocolate – See the same reasoning for coffee.
- Phineas – Everyone needs a writing buddy.
- Joan of Arc quote – “I am not afraid. I was born for this.” Writing is a battle.
- Picture of the fan that was charred during my apartment fire – it reminds me that life is short and we must use our time wisely to do something good with our lives.
- Here’s to the Crazy Ones commercial by Apple – To be a writer, you’ve got to be a little crazy.
What are your writing totems?