The world is buzzing about Dave’s stunning announcement that he will retire from his three decade run as the host of the Late Show some time in 2015. I love, admire, and respect Dave. He’s been a role model for me with his creative courage and generosity. Here are the top 10 reasons I’m sad to see him go:
10. How else am I going to learn about wild, wacky, and wonderful animals without Jack Hanna’s on-going invitation to the show?
9. No one else could get people like Lady Gaga and Bill Murray together in such an authentic, joyful way while giving guests the show of a lifetime.
8. Dave’s mom. Her humor showed us that apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
7. Paul Shaffer and his band members are free to be their eccentric, talented, hilarious selves.
6. No one else stands up for and supports people just getting started in entertainment the way that Dave does.
5. He is never afraid to publicly take on critics with strength, humor, and candor. His capacity to bury the hatchet with people who have hurt him is admirable.
4. Dave sets the example that we can find what we love and find a way to do it in a way that inspires others.
3. Watching Dave try to use Twitter is endearing and adorable. It also makes us laugh at our addiction and reverence of 140-character bits.
2. Regis Philbin will now be running loose on the streets of New York with no one to publicly keep track of him.
1. Though Dave is a mammoth star, he never, ever forgot his humble roots and he has always been determined to lift others as he rises.
Bon voyage, Dave. I’m glad to have a full year to say goodbye properly and pay tribute to your incredible achievements. I can’t wait to see what you do next.