you're reading...
adventure, journey, time

Leap: Flexible Plans

My friend, Blair, sent me this photo and I promptly printed it out to hang at my desk. Plans are important – they give us a guidepost and help us bolster our sense of determination. They help us to persevere. However, if we never give ourselves the flexibility to change and alter them, we run the risk of missing out on something wonderful.

Life has many twists and turns. We receive information and insight all the time, and those insights can bring about wonderfully unexpected and unplanned opportunities. The joys of life are often coupled with surprises and adventures we never saw coming. Don’t miss out on them; they arrive at our doorstep for a reason.

About Christa Avampato

The short of it: Writer. Health, education, and art advocate. Theater and film producer. Visual artist. Product geek. Proud alumnae of the University of Pennsylvania (BA) and the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia (MBA). Inspired by ancient wisdom & modern tech. Proliferator of goodness. Opener of doors. Friend to animals. Fan of creative work in all its wondrous forms. I use my business skills to create passion projects that build a better world. I’ve been called the happiest New Yorker, and I try hard to live up to that title every day. The long of it: My career has stretched across Capitol Hill, Broadway theatre, education, nonprofit fundraising, health and wellness, and Fortune 500 companies in retail, media, entertainment, technology, and financial services. I’ve been a product developer and product manager, theater manager, strategic consultant, marketer, voice over artist, , teacher, and fundraiser. I use my business and storytelling to support and sustain passion projects that build a better world. In every experience, I’ve used my sense of and respect for elegant design to develop meaningful products, services, programs, and events. While building a business career, I also built a strong portfolio as a journalist, novelist, freelance writer, interviewer, presenter, and public speaker. My writing has appeared in The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, PBS.org, Boston.com, Royal Media Partners publications, and The Motley Fool on a wide range of topics including business, technology, science, health, education, culture, and lifestyle. I have also been an invited speaker at SXSW, Teach for America, Avon headquarters, Games for Change, NYU, Columbia University, Hunter College, and the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. The first book in my young adult book series, Emerson Page and Where the Light Enters, was acquired by a publisher and launched in November 2017. I’m currently working on the second book in the series. A recovering multi-tasker, I’m equally at home in front of my Mac, on my yoga mat, walking my rescue dog, Phineas, traveling with a purpose, or practicing the high-art of people watching. I also cut up small bits of paper and put them back together as a collage artist. My company: I’m bringing together all of my business and creative career paths as the Founder of Double or Nothing Media: • I craft products, programs, and projects that make a difference; • I build the business plans that make what I craft financially sustainable; • I tell the stories that matter about the people, places, and products that inspire me. Follow my adventures on Twitter at https://twitter.com/christanyc and Instagram at https://instagram.com/christarosenyc.

Discussion

7 thoughts on “Leap: Flexible Plans

1. Reblogged this on A Charmed Yogi and commented:
    Beautifully said.

Posted by CharmedYogi | September 17, 2012, 10:16 am
    • Thank you! Your message resonates for me this morning….and when I read your background…it seemed that we are on parallel paths…I was a journalism/business major at Syracuse’s Newhouse Communications school…went on to work for Time Inc, Merrill Lynch…finally realized my creative spirit was not being fed and have since become a writer and photographer. My latest goal is to become certified in yoga after seriously practicing for 10 years and am looking for the right teacher training program for me. I’ve done mostly Vinyasa mixed with Hatha. Any recommendations would be great and I hope you will check out my blog.
      I’m also working on a photo series called Phantoms that carries an important social message that I’m trying to get out there. If you go to http://www.merylspiegel.com/phantoms/phantoms2.html, you can see it and make sure to read the artist statement at the top. Any ideas on that front would be wonderful too.
      Maybe too much info here, but so excited to have fund you!
      ps. am also going to reblog you post now!

Posted by recoverythrumylens | September 17, 2012, 11:30 am
    • Thanks so much for the reblog. Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted by Christa | September 17, 2012, 5:18 pm
  2. Great reminder; I’ll have to print as well! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by The Soulicious Life | September 17, 2012, 10:46 am
  3. I have a friend that commented once on how very little in his life had worked out according to his big Plan. But the way it worked out was way better.

Posted by Chico | September 17, 2012, 12:45 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Life plans : one minute sketch « TarekOfCairo - September 17, 2012

I'd love to know what you think of this post! Please leave a reply and I'll get back to you in a jiffy! ~ CRA

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s