If ever there was a television show founded on pure joy, it’s The Great British Bake Off. Professional writer and home baker Abby Anklam joins us on the JoyProject podcast to talk about how she started watching Bake Off and her favorite parts of the show that make it a delight to watch. Abby also shares the bakes she tried at home that were inspired by the show and the bakes she plans to try after everything she’s learned as an avid watcher and fan. We also chat about her job as a writer and illustrator of children’s books.
Abigail Anklam is a writer and illustrator who writes books for young readers.
Growing up, she loved reading about fantastic adventures in incredible places and longed to have adventures of her own, just like Lucy in Narnia, Mowgli in the Jungle, or White Fang in the Arctic. So it’s no wonder that she left her Virginia home to find adventure in faraway places, like Arkansas, Italy, Arizona, & China.
During her adventures, Abigail has filled many roles. She has been a student, an actor, a zookeeper, an artist, a teacher, a bookseller, an archer, and more! She loves to learn new skills, visit new places, and try new things. Along the way, she’s experienced different ways of life, met all kinds of wonderful people, and learned about all sorts of fascinating animals. Many of those experiences and interests have found their way into her writing and art.
Right now, Abigail is working on her first children’s novel. It’s a mystery story that involves a bear, an animal trainer, and an escape from the circus. To read a sample of Abigail’s published work, click here. You’ll find an excerpt from According to Their Kinds, a collection of short animal-related stories (for adults).
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What makes The Great British Bake Off such a joy to watch
- How Bake Off is different (and better!) than U.S.-based competition shows
- What fans of Bake Off learn from the show and apply to their own baking
- Those adorable illustrations of the bakes that have become a hallmark of the show
- Abby’s work as a writer and illustrator of children’s books
- The Story community where I met Abby
- Junior Bake Off — the newest show in the Bake Off franchise now on Netflix in the U.S.
- A quote about joy from Jaiya John sent to me by my wonderful friend, artist Rachael Harms Mahlandt
Links to resources:
- Abby’s website — https://abigailanklam.com
- Abby on Twitter — @abigrayce
- Abby on Instagram — @abigrayce
- The Great British Bake Off — https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/
- Author Jaiya John — https://jaiyajohn.com/
- Artist Rachael Harms Mahlandt — https://www.instagram.com/yourfriendrachael/
- Story community — https://storygatherings.com/
- Christa on Twitter — @christanyc
- Christa on Instagram — @christarosenyc
- Christa on Facebook — @AuthorChrista
- Christa on Medium — @christaavampato
- Christa on TikTok — @christanyc
- Christa’s website — ChristaAvampato.com