you're reading...
forgiveness, learning

This just in: The power of forgiveness

Forgiveness is the greatest gift we can give and get

Forgiveness is the greatest gift we can give and get

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ~Mahatma Gandhi

When I was a very young theater manager, we had a member of our company who was extraordinarily difficult. He was constantly disrespectful to many people in the country, especially to my boss at the time. In front of the entire company, they had a huge confrontation and this difficult person swore at my boss and stormed out of the room. I was shocked, and angry.

A few hours later that company member came into our office and apologized to my boss. He was sincere in his apology, though I had no expectation that my boss would let him off the hook after his horrible behavior and public display. My boss shook his hand and accepted his apology. When the company member left, I turned to my boss and asked how he could so easily accept an apology after he had been so terribly treated only hours before. My boss turned to me and gave me one of the greatest lessons of my life.

“Christa, if someone has the courage to sincerely ask for my forgiveness, then the least I can do is have the courage to forgive him. Asking for forgiveness is the hardest thing we can ever do. Granting forgiveness to someone who’s hurt us is the second hardest.”

That was almost 15 years ago, and I’ve never forgotten that incident, nor the lesson that it taught me. Forgiveness, on both sides, is the domain of the strong. Let’s be strong. Let’s forgive.

Advertisements

About Christa Avampato

I make a living in business and I make a life as a writer, artist, and yogi. I use my business skills to support passion projects that build a better world. My first novel, Emerson Page and Where the Light Enters, will be published in the Fall of 2017 by Thumbkin Prints, a children's and YA imprint of Possibilities Publishing Co. My creative career has stretched across Capitol Hill, Broadway theatre, education, nonprofit fundraising, health and wellness, and Fortune 500 companies in retail, media, and financial services. In every experience, I have used my sense of and respect for elegant design to develop meaningful products, services, program, and events to help people live happier, healthier lives. A recovering multi-tasker, I am a proud alum of UPenn (BA) and the Darden School at UVA (MBA). When not in front of my Mac, I’m on my yoga mat, walking my rescue dog, Phineas, traveling with a purpose, or practicing the high-art of people watching. I split my time between New York City and Washington, D.C. Follow my adventures on Twitter at https://twitter.com/christanyc and Instagram at https://instagram.com/christarosenyc.

Discussion

6 thoughts on “This just in: The power of forgiveness

1. A person who forgives and forgets is a great one.

:))

Posted by Harbans | March 27, 2015, 3:12 am
    • Absolutely, Harbans. The forgets is a tough one for me personally. I’m working on it, and also trying to retain the learning as well.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Christa | March 27, 2015, 8:05 am
      • When nothing works, forgetting is the only route which takes us to peace with our own selves. Working on this, too is a way out initially and then, we at least are vindicated.

:))

Regards

Posted by Harbans | March 27, 2015, 11:56 am
  2. The real difficulty is forgiving those who don’t ask.

Posted by ninagrandiose | March 27, 2015, 7:50 am
    • Nina,
      You are absolutely right. I’ve found that to be one of my biggest challenges as an adult – to provide the forgiveness to someone who doesn’t even believe they’ve harmed you. One thing that helps me is realizing that if I hang on to the anger, in the end it hurts me more than helps me. So forgiveness in this way is an act of self-love and self-care.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Christa | March 27, 2015, 8:06 am
  3. I do agree.

Posted by konbaannork | October 1, 2015, 12:38 pm

I'd love to know what you think of this post! Please leave a reply and I'll get back to you in a jiffy! ~ CRA

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Translate this blog to another language

My Goodreads

@sofi, this is music to my ears.

RSS Breaking Bread Podcast on Soundcloud

• Ringing in the holidays with DC's Food & Friends May 17, 2017
    Check out my uplifting podcast episode featuring Food & Friends, one of my favorite organizations in D.C. Please feel free to spread this good news far and wide! Food & Friends provides one million specialized nutritious meals a year in the greater D.C. area to individuals and families who are undergoing treatment for HIV / AIDS and cancer, and those […]
  • Interview with DC's Capital Area Food Bank May 17, 2017
    The Capital Area Food Bank supports 444 food-based organizations in the D.C. area who in turn help hundreds of thousands of our neighbors every year who face food insecurity on a daily basis. It’s an inspiring story about food as a social justice issue, the fight to end hunger, and our ability to help our city grow stronger and healthier together.
%d bloggers like this: